USC Mentorship Hub Match Program
The Mentorship Hub Match program’s purpose is to provide students with support in the form of one-on-one guidance, advice, and insight from an alumni mentor who has been in their shoes.
- Role of the Mentee: Receive guidance and advice from a mentor to assist in career development, goals setting, and career-related decision making.
- Role of the Mentor: Provide insight and guidance for the mentee based on personal experience in career and academic pursuits.
Mentorship Hub Profile
Create your free USC Mentorship Hub account to serve as a mentor for recent graduates and current students. You can even find a mentor for yourself. With functionality similar to LinkedIn, this platform is just for Gamecocks.
Overview of the Program:
- What is Mentorship? Mentorship is a process in which an experienced individual helps another person develop his/her goals and skills through on-going, supportive one-on-one conversations and learning exercises.
- Our Mission: To assist students who are approaching graduation to make a successful and informed transition from university into the work world, preferably in their field of interest.
- Application Window: December 2022 – January 26, 2023
- Favoriting Period: January 1 – 26, 2023
- Mentorship Hub Match Informational Virtual Meeting: January 25 at noon eastern
- Match Day: January 27, 2023
- Program Begins: February 1, 2023
- Program Ends: March 4, 2023
- Program Survey Sends to Mentors & Mentees: March 6, 2023
Week 1 (February 5 — 11): Get to Know You
Week 2 (February 12 — 18): Transferable Skills – Student Involvement & Alumni Involvement
Week 3 (February 19 — 25): Career Path & Professional Development
Week 4 (February 26 — March 4): Future Goals & Planning
Why Join the Mentorship Hub Match?
Our October 2022 Mentorship Hub Match program was such a success that we decided to host another Match in the Spring 2023 semester! But don’t take our word from it, read a few student and alumni testimonials below!
“It is a wonderful opportunity to connect with the next generation (I am newly retired) and share my experiences. My mentee’s intelligence and enthusiasm are infectious… I anticipate that I will receive more than I can give in this relationship.”Alumni Mentor
“I learned from [my mentor’s] experience in a global company and even as a human. I was so impressed by how she was willing to be there for me and even fit with my busy schedule. I can even call her anytime if I want to.”Student Mentee
What are the mentor & mentee roles?
A MENTEE’S RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To discuss their needs and expectations with their mentor and think about what they want out of the relationship prior to the meeting
- Put time into preparing to talk with their mentor
- Be receptive to suggestion and feedback
- Contact their mentor if they are unable to participate in scheduled meetings in a timely manner
- Realize that having a mentor is a privilege, understand the mentor is busy with their life as well and work hard to take advantage of the opportunity
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times
A MENTOR’S RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recognize the apprehension mentees may have with working with a mentor, especially if this is their first time speaking with an alum
- Listen to the needs and expectations of your mentee
- Provide honest feedback and advice relating to their experiences to support the success of the mentee’s career development
- Work with the mentee to help him/her develop and establish realistic and obtainable goals
- Offer suggestions and feedback
- Be committed to serve as a resource to their mentee
- Follow up on commitments made to their mentee
EXPECTATIONS OF BOTH MENTOR AND MENTEE:
- Respect confidences and trust each other
- Discover common ground and respect each other’s differences
- Be yourself and be flexible
- Be a good listener
- You must create a profile in the Mentorship Hub to apply to the Mentorship Hub Match.
- Once you create a profile, don’t forget to go back to apply to the Mentorship Hub Match program!
- To get the best match, make sure your profile is filled out completely – including your major, industry and availability.
- Be sure to turn on notifications for messages within the Mentorship Hub so you don’t miss any communications from your mentor/mentee!
USC Alumni Association LinkedIn
Keep up to date on the latest events, networking opportunities, and alumni achievements by following our LinkedIn page!
USC Career Center Benefits
Members receive three free hours of career consultations per year from the USC Career Center. This is an annual value of $120.
Career Virtual Events
Check out our free video series where USC alumni and industry professionals provide insight for growing your career! You can view all of these videos and more on our YouTube channel.