Affinity Council Leadership Application
The Alumni Association is excited to announce availability for alumni to serve our alma mater through the association’s four affinity groups – Black Alumni Council, LGBTQ+ Alumni Council, Veterans Alumni Council and Young Alumni Council. The Alumni Association is seeking engaged and outstanding alumni to fill vacant seats on the leadership boards of each council. Each of these boards have representation that is reflective of the association’s membership and the university’s alumni population.
Once selected, members serve a two-year term and may be eligible to serve an additional two-year term. The number of vacant seats each year varies based on open positions. The vacant seats available this year are:
- Black Alumni Council – one at-large seat (may be located anywhere geographically), one Charlotte seat, one Charleston seat, one Greenville seat, one Midlands seat
- LGBTQ+ Alumni Council – two at-large seat (may be located anywhere geographically), one Charleston seat, one Midlands seat
- Veterans Alumni Council – one Atlanta seat, one Charleston seat, one Charlotte seat, one Greenville seat, one Midlands seat
- Young Alumni Council – one at-large seat, one Midlands seat
Eligibility to serve
- Completion of at least 15 credit hours at the University of South Carolina
- Be a member of the Alumni Association at the time of application
- To serve on the Young Alumni Council, members must be 35 years or younger
About the Councils
Affinity group councils exist to serve in advisory roles and represent the interests of their specific populations to the Alumni Association’s Board of Governors and Alumni Association staff. Affinity group members work in partnership with Alumni Association staff to provide programming that advances the Alumni Association mission in key markets around the country by supporting students, connecting alumni back to the university and building the brand of the university.
Affinity Group board members will be expected to:
- Maintain current membership with the Alumni Association throughout the duration of an elected term.
- Regularly attend/participate in conference calls and annual in-person council meetings.
- Attend Homecoming activities.
- Serve as champions of the university and the association by sharing relevant events and messaging with personal networks
Interested applicants with questions may contact Scott McDonald, Senior Director of Alumni Affiliate Groups and Kennedy Henderson, Coordinator of Alumni Affiliate Groups at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.